Wednesday, January 5, 2011

What's Up in the News Lately

I'm addicted to the news. The first thing that I do when I start my computer is check the news to see if anything exciting or life changing has happened. I think part of me is also afraid that I am going to miss something really big that happens in the world like California falling into the ocean. We don't have TV, so we don't watch the news, and I don't like to watch the news anyway because that means 1/2 hour of watching stories that I might not even be interested in. I'm all about the internet.

There are still really big things that I remember learning from the news. It was tragic when I learned about the death of John Ritter. I remember where I was and the lighting in the room. Other news events I remember really well like when Elizabeth Smart was found, the 9-11 attacks, and when Princess Diana was killed. If I went to school and someone told me those stories, I wouldn't have believed them, but finding out myself through the news makes it more believable.

Nothing HUGE has happened in the news like the death of a president or a mass suicide (knock on wood). I guess that's a good thing though. But just today, there were a few stories that I thought were interesting:

Woman Unaware that She was Pregnant Delivers a Baby
:
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/01/05/woman-unaware-pregnancy-delivers-pound-baby/?test=faces

The title pretty much sums up the story, but I put the article there just in case. Whenever I hear about women that give birth and didn't even know they were pregnant, I get really irritated. I don't know why this bugs me more than most things. Granted, most of the women that "didn't know they were pregnant" are usually extremely overweight and the added 25ish pounds of pregnancy seems really slight to them whereas for me that was 25% of my pre-pregnancy weight. I know that some women don't get super sick like I do during pregnancy, but come on, no period of 9 months? Hint hint? There are some birth controls that women take so that they only have their period every 3 months. Even then, 3 missed periods is a lot. Okay, then I understand the argument about not keeping track to dates because I never did. I just think that almost a year without getting out those tampons and pads is a little too big of a blessing without a baby attached to the end.

Polygamist Pummeled by Wives for Planning Fifth Marriage
http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/05/polygamist-pummeled-by-first-and-second-wives-for-planning-fifth/?test=latestnews

Again, the title says it all. I just thought the story was kinda funny when I read the title. The article wasn't as exciting as I thought it was going to be, but that's just another little thing in the news I thought was interesting.

DNA Helps Calif. Cop Reopen 1968 'Jane Doe' Cold Case
http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/04/dna-helps-california-cop-reopen-1968-jane-doe-cold-case/?test=latestnews

In a nutshell: 1968, lady murdered, her body was never identified, nor was the killer.
I've always loved reading about cold cases that seemed to be solved 30-some years later. I use to watch "Cold Case" on A&E channel back in the day. I always found it so interesting, but for some reason when I was reading this news article, I was a bit irritated that they would spend time opening up a case that is that old. First of all, if there were any witnesses it a crime that happened in 1968, they are either dead, too old to remember, or impossible to find. Then there is so much time and money put into investigating the crime, it seems like it could be put to better use. I usually don't have this opinion about cold cases because even I like to dabble in serial killers who have never been found or other unsolved mysteries. My mind was just in disagreement when I read this article.

Don't even get me started of Celebrity Gossip. Now that, I agree with some people that it is a waste of time to read about, but for some reason, I still click on articles about LiLo and her time at rehab. Maybe I should find a new hobby.

2 comments:

  1. You're right, I almost fell asleep.
    I do have to say though that some of these pregger ladies have really irregular period. If the thought that you are even pregnant never enters your mind, I can understand attributing the symptoms to other things. Just sayin'.
    Dude, don't get me started on the celeb gossip either! Fortunately I don't even know who Lilo is so that is a step in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crap, it just occurred to me who Lilo is and I knew that she's spent time in rehab too. Darnit!

    ReplyDelete