Thursday, January 13, 2011

Movies? Ya'll Know Nothin' About Movies

Either I developed a really bad habit as a child, or everyone that I know just doesn't know what GOOD movies really are. Let me explain.

When I was growing up, I remember watching the same few movies over and over again. For example, the classic: The Sound of Music.


I could watch that movie 5 times through without even thinking that that type of behavior was unusual at all. It was well written, spectacular acting, and the filming seems pretty darn good. But let's face it, as a child, I didn't think of that criteria as important for a movie. This movies was just entertaining, realistic, and I was happy after I watched it.

I feel like I apply those three things, entertaining, realistic, and makes me happy to how I rate movies now. My husband's family loves movies. Most of the movies that they watch I actually like, but some I just cannot sit though. Now, here's the thing though is that it's not just my husband's family that loves these movies, it's a lot of people. I just don't understand why. I need some people to explain to me why I should sit through these movies and enjoy them. Here, let me give you a picture list for visualization.



I don't even know why anyone would like that movie. It puts me to sleep fast than Nyquil. I just don't like any movie with war-like fighting and especially fighting that takes place a super long time ago with a bunch of dirty men with fake accents. Just doesn't appeal to me.



This movie is rated R, but we did buy it edited for clean viewing. I never heard to this movie until we bought it, but my husband talked about it like it made billions in the movie theater. I felt like everyone heard about it but me. Here, let me assume that you never heard about it before, tell you a little about what it is about, then tell you why I don't like it. There's aliens in it and something about them doing something. I don't even know. The reason I don't like this movie: totally not realistic. If it can't happen in real life, I don't like it.



I have tried really really hard to like these movies. Okay, maybe the word "like" is going a little too far. I have tried really really hard to stay awake through these movies. I know that they are very well done because I like that portion of it. Did you know that extended versions are 4 hours long! And there are 3 movies! That's 12 hours total. Here's the thing that I don't get; people actually sit down and watch them in a marathon! A MARATHON! Now, when I was with the in-laws after Christmas, we watched all the movies over three days and I tried really hard to stay awake. I did. I think I stayed awake for at least an hour of the last one. How do I remember that? I cried like a baby in the very very end when everyone bows down to the hobbits and Sam, my favorite hobbit, got married. You want to know a secret though? I don't even know what they did or what even went on in the movie, but I still cried like a baby.

Okay, so now lets get into the real movies that are entertaining, realistic, and make me laugh.



I love almost anything Sandra Bullock and this movie is a love! It is so funny! Everyone laughed at this movie saying that it was the dumbest thing that Sandra could have done. One review online that I read even said, "The problems start in the script and are made worst by the delivery to produce a tremendously unfunny, clueless mess." How dare they! I'm sure this person was over thinking everything and only likes movies that spend billions of dollars on unrealistic phony computer graphics.



Not only is John Ritter, the most amazing actor that ever lived, in this movie, but it is realistic, but not a common thing that happens. If you haven't seen it, it's a great movie, but I can't really tell you that much about the plot. Billy Bob Thorton plays a mental guy who was in an institution for 25 years for killing his mother and her lover, but then let out. It is all about after his life there. It's very well done and realistic.



What an inspiration! I'm sure after watching this, every blonde was motivated to apply to Harvard!

There are some amazing movies out there that nobody can file under the "Bad Movie" category. There are always the classics like The Sound of Music, Little Mermaid, Pollyanna, Fiddler on the Roof, and A Goofy Movie. Then there are the inspirational movies where I feel personally offended when people say they didn't like the movie like The Shawshank Redemption, Cinderella Man, or Pursuit of Happyness. But I think the rest of the world can agree with me on those movies.

Just remember, next time you are rating a movie, don't think about if it is well-written, the acting, or how well done or how much effort and money they put into the movie. Are you just entertained after watching it? That should be the real scale for movie ratings!

And here is just a little extra for you to watch. Growing up, my sister always wanted to watch The Ten Commandments on Sundays. Great movie, but a little hard for me to sit through every Sunday. Classic though. Here is a little clip from youtube where the film is "recut" to be a high-school-drama-chick-flick-like movie. It's pretty funny. There are a lot of videos that are on youtube that are "recut" and pretty funny. I have to warn you at the end, stop it where the burning bush comes. I have never seen it there because my husband said that they say the "F word", so I always stop it right before then.

Enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1kqqMXWEFs

1 comment:

  1. hahaahaahaa! After reading this, methinks we're definitely sisters! I haven't seen most of the movies you're listing, but I feel the exact same way about Lord of the Rings. I mean exact, down to the part where I cry at the end.
    Hilarious video too! Most especially the bush part! Oops, don't tell John.

    ReplyDelete