Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Maybe the Life Lesson We Need to Learn is on TV

I have learned some invaluable things on TV sitcoms growing up. For example, I never use to cry when I chopped up an onion, but then one day in my third trimester of pregnancy, that onion just made me tear up. You know what came to mind? Something that I learned from Veronica Mars, the teen detective with an amazingly interesting show. I remember she was chopping onions with her mother and had a spoon upside down in her mouth to prevent the misty eye. I haven't cried since.

Step by Step: who could forget that show? I remember once Al, the daughter was trying to be nice and fold the towels for her step mom, Suzanne Summers. Now Suz, being the perfectionist that she was, took over and showed her daughter a new was to fold towels so that none of the edges were showing. Since that moment, I have never gone back to my old sloppy ways of folding towels.

Now, let me be a little prideful here for a bit. I've always considered an expert on dating. Okay, well, maybe that is a slight exaggeration. Since returning home from serving a mission, I was older, I knew what I wanted, and I didn't take time to sift through the garbage before getting to the good stuff. Even with girls looking for men to date, I felt like I knew who people were personality wise and their intentions. I can't say much for the gentleman's side, but I have sure lived with a lot of different types of girls and have been neighbor to even more. Here's something that I did learn; some are annoying in front of a gentleman caller, but even more annoying to their girlfriends.

I try to give girl advice, when asked, to some of my single guy friends that I grew up with or knew before I was married. Let's face it, they all want the happy married life that I have. I do my best to criticize the girls that they are interested in and point their heads in the direction of the cute, emotionally stable girls. Then it just hit me today:

John and I don't watch TV. We don't get any channels, therefore, watching is a little difficult. We were in a hotel room visiting another state, when we decided to watch TV because we hadn't since we got married. You know what was on? The Bachelor. That was pretty much the best thing to watch out of their 7 channel selection. I always judged people who were on the Bachelor and even worse, who would want to watch something like that!? Okay, I'm hooked. Just watching it in that hotel room got me hooked. Now I watch it on Hulu and am a bit bummed that I have to watch it a day delayed.

My point is, I think I am out of a job. I no longer need to give out my dating tips to people. To all the single men out there looking for a wife: watch the Bachelor. Just on the show, there is every type of woman. Learn their personalities, then know what to avoid. There are so many girls that are into drama and are not looking for the "real love" thing, but see dating as a game. There are girls that YOU date that are like that. Study the women on The Bachelor and don't be fooled by the silly school girls out there. Then there are some really good ones that are sincere and don't annoy the heck out of me. I will no longer need to tell you how to figure it all out. Just watch the show. It is a great life lesson that can be learned.

One of the girls on The Bachelor was describing another woman on there. She said that she is perfect like a Barbie doll and everyone wants to hate her, but she had the heart of Mother Teresa and who can hate Mother Teresa?

Find one of them.

3 comments:

  1. Melinda, You are not out of a job until I'm married. Also, the Bachelor is sooo the best show on tv!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I'm so hooked on the bachelor too!!
    Amazing. I dislike the hairdresser from SLC, what is her deal?! Team Mother Teresa!...or even the dentist would be okay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keltz! I am so glad that you watch the Bachelor too! Okay, hairdresser, has to go. Geeze! The episode when it was her birthday, I was going crazy! She's so annoying they have to keep her on for a while! Yeah, love Mother Teresa, but I have to admit, the dentist kinda annoys me. However, I am a bit sad that vampire girl is gone.

    ReplyDelete