Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Idaho vs California: Pros and Cons

I live in Idaho.  When I'm here in Idaho, I think, "Wow!  This place isn't that bad.  I could live here for a few more years."  Then when I go to California to visit, I think, "What was I thinking liking Idaho so much.  California is the place to be!"

Now, growing up in California, I am a little bias.  I know there are a lot of pros and cons to each place and what I think is a con, some people think is a pro.  So I think I should break it down. Mostly for myself so I can see it on paper.  I don't like writing on paper, so I decided to type it out and let everyone know my thoughts.

Speed Limits:
Idaho:  Speed limit is 40?  Oh, that means I can go 40 and under.
California:  Speed limit 40?  I have to drive at LEAST 40 mph.
Winner: California

Ethnicity:
Idaho:  White, white, white, white, white, really tan, white, white.
California:  There are so many people from so many different backgrounds!  We can learn about different cultures and more importantly, eat more food from different backgrounds.
Winner: California

Safety:
Idaho:  We have crime.  There was a murder here 2 or 3 years ago on Christmas Eve.  Some lady was beaten with a pool stick just a few blocks away from my house.  I've seen some people use illegal drugs.
California:  When I went to visit in September, I watched the 30 minute local news at 5, and in the first 15 minutes they had 4 murders to report.  I even saw a ton of drug deals go down in high school.
Winner: Idaho

Friendliness:
Idaho:  When we moved here, a lot of people went out of their way to say hi to us and introduce themselves.  I usually get nice smiles from people at the super market.
California:  This might be sad on my part, but we had new neighbors move in next door when I was like 7 or 8.  It wasn't until high school when a neighbor's house across the street went on fire at 4:30 in the morning that we met our neighbor.  I don't know anyone who lives on the street that I grew up on.  Again, could just be me.
Winner: Idaho

Food:
Idaho:  Where we live, we actually have the most restaurants per capita in the United States.  Unfortunately most of those are fast food places.  Also, it's really sad when the best Chinese food restaurant is Panda Express because we all know in California Panda Express is pretty low on the list.  So, we have tons of food here, just not good stuff.
California: In and Out
Winner: California

There is actually so much more, but this post is too lame to write more.  I'm pretty sure California is going to win.


2 comments:

  1. The answer is Texas. It wins in all those categories, especially now that In N Out is coming to town! No, I guess we are lacking a little in the Asian fare though.

    The speed limit here keeps rising. 80 now in some places.

    Super diverse in my 'hood. Mike's practically the only white guy on our street.

    You know nobody beats Texas in friendliness!

    Pretty safe here too, not as safe as Idaho, but I'd rather take my chances...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faster speed limits arent necessarily a good thing. Here in cali, people constantly cut each other off, drive unsafely because everyone is in a hurry to get to their second job in order to pay for their sheety condo.

    ReplyDelete