Sunday, August 4, 2013

I Should Be a Professional Organizer

I can probably organized your house in 20 baskets or less.  That is, unless you're a hoarder.

For any of you who grew up with me, went to college with me, or even know me now, you probably know that I'm a pretty big slob.  You know what?  I'm okay with that.  You know why?  Because even if everything is a mess, and everything is everywhere, I still know where everything is.  I think I get that from my mom.  She always know where everything is even if she hasn't seen it in 3 years and it's buried in a box in the attic.  For example, when we were unpacking, John asked me where the scissors were and I told him it was under two other boxes, in a different room, and even in a box that shouldn't have scissors in the first place.  See.  I don't need to be organized.

However, I didn't know where our tools were.

But there is just one thing that I didn't like about being so unorganized.  I LOOK like a slob.  I don't care if I am one, but I want to appear as though I am neat and clean and actually care about what people think of me when they come to my house.  Plus my husband is SUPER clean and organized so the least I could do was start organizing my house.

My mother-in-law really should be a professional organizer. In fact, the first 3 times that we moved, she was always there to help me organized all of our stuff.  I didn't have her this time, but I think I did a pretty darn good job at organizing everything.  My trashy apartment actually looks like a nice little home.

The absolute hardest part about organizing everything is keeping it organized.  It has taken me a lot of discipline and several years of practice and I still need to practice more, but my house is still pretty organized.  Plus with my two kids, it can be pretty tough.  I do sweep up cheerios of my floor 5 times/day, but for the most part, it isn't that bad.

Okay, time to stop rambling and time to show some pictures.

This is the linen's closet, but I put my food storage in there instead because I have other ways to store my towels.  Plus, all that cereal, oatmeal, and Chewy Bars that you can't see were all under 60 bucks total.  I'm pretty good with looking for deals and couponing.

Keep in mind that we did go down from a 4 bed, 2 bath house to a 2 bed, 1 bath apartment.  This is our storage closet.  My motto is "Organize Up".  My sister got sick of me saying it when I reorganized her house, but my house looks so much nicer with the floor clear and everything up high.  We added a hook strip to the right side and put a bathroom organizer on the right. 

I don't really do much drawer organizing, but I do with my kitchen stuff.  My nephew Bryce organized this drawer for me!  I'm glad he wants to follow in his favorite Aunt's footsteps and do major organizing. 

Again, this is with my organize up idea.  Also, another thing that I never do is just put something on the shelf unless it's big.  EVERYTHING has a basket. All the baskets that I have I got from the dollar store because they surprisingly have really nice baskets.  However I have noticed that the bigger Dollar Tree stores have a bigger selection of  baskets.  If it fits in a basket, put it in and put it up high.  Then I use shoe organizers for all our shoes and I actually hang our towels in the girl's room in the closet because they have the biggest closet in the house.

See.  NOTHING on the floor.

You can call me a little obsessive about floor space.  I even have our huge old school TV (the ones that aren't paper thin) in our front closet so that it doesn't take up room in our living room.  We only watch TV for Disney Princesses, so it is nice to have it hidden away.

Surprisingly I actually enjoy it.  I helped my sister organize her house and her son loves to help me organize!  I don't want to bore you with too many pictures of my house, but I like the way it looks.  My sister's house looks unrealistic for her lifestyle, but I'm sure she loves it.  So if anyone is too lazy or just doesn't know how to organize his or her house, give me a call, bake me some bread (or buy me my new favorite Blue Bell ice cream), and I'll organize your entire house.

2 comments:

  1. It looks so good. I am glad you are organizing your house and all, but we miss you in Idaho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bake you some bread if you come organize my house! I try to organize it, but I'm not as disciplined as I should be to keep it organized. Your house looks awesome!
    So, really--when will you come?

    ReplyDelete