Thursday, January 19, 2012

Failure: The Word of My Life

I never fail.  Well, almost never.

My husband: Fails ALL the time!  For example, he tried to hike Table Mountain on the other side of the Teton range twice.  The first time he hike down the completely wrong trail, then the 2nd time, there was so much snow, he hiked 4 miles in and only 1/2 mile up the table mountain trail.  I'm just waiting to see how time number 3 will go.

So now what do you think?  Who's more successful now!

He is.  Obviously.

You know why I never fail?  No, not because I'm very good at almost everything I do.  It's because I never try anything new!  How can I fail at things that I have never tried?

I'm a Chinese Education minor, so I took a language teaching methods class.  I remember learning Spanish in high school and Spanish 1 was the only 'B' I ever got in high school.  You know why?  Because I was afraid of messing up when I spoke Spanish.  Then when I learned Chinese in Taiwan, I had to speak it whether I wanted to or not.

Okay, back to my teaching methods class.  The reason why I say that is because a lot of students are afraid of failing when it comes to speaking a foreign language.  My teacher (one of the best teachers I ever had) said don't be afraid of failure in anything!  If you're afraid of failure, you'll never try anything new, and become a big slob watching Netflix all day.

Failure is my new word.  Not a past word that has described my life, by a new word that I shouldn't be afraid of doing new things.  You see, the difference between my husband and I is that he's not afraid of failure.  Don't get me wrong; he doesn't fail in life.  He is where he is because he tries new things and isn't afraid of it.

Now it's my turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment